Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late Goal Drops Pirates

Late Goal Drops Pirates

On a wet field after a night of rain, most of the first half was defined by ball control by Rhodes College and a strong defense by the Pirates.  Sarah Nonaka came up big with three saves early in the first half.  Southwestern began moving the ball down the field by winning the ball near their own goal and then using short passes and taking advantage of throw-ins.  However, the Rhodes' defense held strong, eventually turning the Pirates away. 

The Pirates best opportunity of the first half came with just 8 minutes left when Laura Ornelas rattled around and found Cailey McLain who took a good shot that was just barely saved by the Rhodes keeper.  The game was back and forth in midfield for the next five minutes until the Pirates had several opportunities at goal and managed a great sliding shot by Allie Dillon that was just barely rejected by Rhodes' keeper Stephanie Sermonet.

The end of the first period of a scoreless tie saw Rhodes leading in shots 4-3 with all 7 shots being on goal.

The second half started with a bang as, four minutes in, a Rhodes defender sent a free kick in the box where forward Laura Fink held position then rocketed a shot toward Sarah Nonaka who made a diving save to keep the game scoreless.  Nonaka then sent a kick long downfield to Cailey McLain who broke away and was met by the Rhodes keeper just inside the 18.  The deflection was cleared out of danger.  Over the next several minutes Rhodes would make several trips into the Pirates' box but were turned away by a suffocating defense led by Nonaka. Lindsey Resnik also played a major part in the Pirate defense by stuffing many shots and stopping long passes from her defensive position.

20 minutes into the second half Maria Polifrone took a deep run into the box and was delivered the ball on the run on the left side of the box.  Her sliding shot was saved in the corner of the goal.  That shot caused the momentum to shift as the Pirates spent much of the next few minutes on the Rhodes side of the field.

Rhodes took the lead with 17 minutes left in the game after a hand ball allowed a free kick by Rhodes.  Paula Vasichko sent a long ball to the far side of the box where Kelsey Keown controlled the ball off her chest in the box and then put the ball into the lower left 90.

Southwestern began mounting a continuous offensive with 12 minutes to go.  Polifrone sent several balls into the box in succession that were just tipped away from open Pirates in the box.  The Pirates final chance was with 1 minute left when Polifrone passed a ball into the box to Duggins who passed to McLain.  McLain's shot was saved and the Pirates dropped the game 1-0.

The loss drops the Pirates to 1-3 in conference and 5-5-1 overall.  Southwestern takes to the field next against Trinity University in San Antonio on October 14 at 6pm.